Thursday, March 20, 2008

Our Pup was hit by a car!!!

Poor Joy!

Tuesday evening I was gardening, and we went to put joy in the patio b/c she got out and Matt had been holding her. Well just as matt was closign the door, this stupid orange cat that has been around and harrassing joy, popped up across the street and she took off after it!!!! We heard the car screech and her cry out then she came running back...We took her to the doggie hospital ER thing, to be evaluated. She had to stay there overnight, they ran a bunch of tests and gave her meds and pain killers, fluids, etc. They had to wait for the adrenaline rush to die down to see how much pain she was in and to be able to check her. The nurse was WONDERFUL and joy really liked her and was snuggling up to her and didn't panic when we left (very unusual for Joy)...so I feel comfortable w/her in their hands. I was a mess, called mom and she drove Matt and I and joy...

I left her there late that night, midnight i think? And we drove home. We waited all night to hear how she was but the ER vet had a couple of losses that night and things were bad...so we didn't hear from them until about 10am on Wednesday other then she is stable and OK. So of course I was a mess and up all night calling and checking on her! I got about 1/2 hour of sleep and was so exhausted and run down, puffy from crying so hysterical, still scared waiting on results, just a MESS so I took yesterday off.

BUT PRAISE GOD Joy is going to be OK!!! She broke her tail bone area right up by the pelvis toward the left side and its causing pain down her lt leg which is why she wouldn't sit or stand. (basically a mildly displaced fracture of the sacrum) Her lungs, bladder and kidneys look PERFECT and her legs are fine!! just the fracture on her backside (My baby broke her BUTT!!!) We were able to pick her up last night around 7!!!! It was so wonderful to see her OK!! She'll have to be still, very little exercise, no running, just out to potty and back inside. I have to crate her as much as possible the next month. She is on medication 3 times a day for pain and no jumping or running (This is going to be HARD!!! Have you SEEN how hyper my kid is?) The vet says she was definitly clipped by a car....( we weren't 100% sure, we HEARD it but didn't see it) But she is going to be OK!! I'm so relieved... She IS my baby, my kid, the only kid that we have! She fills some of the emptiness and need for caring for someone that we don't have yet b/c of our infertility. I would have been absolutely devestated to lose her!!! I don't know what we'd do w/o her!!! I love her so much!

It cost us an arm and a leg but it is so worth it to know she is OK and will be OK no permanant damage. Matt was sweet, he told my mom last night, "I can MAKE more money, I could never MAKE another Joy!!!" AWWW....So we are very blessed and very grateful that our kid is OK!!!
Have a blessed day in the Lord!!!

This is what she broke, its labeled #16 after the pelvis and before the tail:




1 comment:

Patti said...

So sad, but glad she will be okay. Hope you all had a nice Easter. XXOO